- They participate in a national quality network that develops a European and International Orientation (EIO) within a European Elos concept.
- They are involved in structural international exchange activities with several schools abroad(including at least one school that also implements Elos); and strive towards embedding these activities in the school curriculum and school policies to ensure coherence and sustainability.
- Inside and outside the classroom, they work towards Europe Competence (knowledge, skills, and attitudes that students need for their future as European citizens), with a substantial number of students in the age groups 12 to 19.
- They use jointly developed instruments to measure and certify achievements.
- They take part in general monitoring and evaluation activities of the European Elos Network.
- They allocate available resources to realize these goals.
Elos is for all students in all programmes of learning in secondary education. Elos is an inclusive educational and pedagogical concept and seeks to recognize all international learning experiences
For your school Elos will serve as a drive for internal growth and development, as well as a marketing or branding instrument. · Your students and teachers will get involved internationally by participating in projects with partner schools abroad · Embedding and integrating European and International projects into lesson plans and school policy deepen your school's international experiences · Elos partners are developing modules for teacher training courses, in order to ensure that teachers will be competent to teach in Elos schools · You will have access to an international network of schools sharing your idea(l)s, standards and frameworks, allowing you to easily find partners for international projects · The network helps you to establish structure and status in European and International Orientation · You will be able to distinguish positively from other schools by meeting the Elos School Standard, thus appealing to students/parents/employers who appreciate the European and international dimension
Elos students will benefit in the following ways:
- International cooperation with peers
- Knowledge of one or more modern foreign languages
- Informed and critical citizens
Europeand the wider world
- Key Competences: Learning to learn, Entrepreneurship, Social and cultural awareness
Please go to the list of national coordinators list of national coordinators.
If there is no national or regional coordinator in your country, please contact the European coordinator, European Platform - Consultancy and Training.
Please contact your national or regional coordinator for questions about funding. Besides of funding, the schools themselves do need to contribute to and invest in their choice to become an Elos school.
A perfect standard Elos programme does not exist. Below you will find elements that need to be included in a good Elos programme:
- European and international Orientation (EIO), which is incorporated in the Common Framework for Europe Competence
- Learning of one or more foreign languages
- Attention for entrepreneurship, informal and work-related learning
All subjects can be involved in Elos. Elos is an interdisciplinary educational concept and therefore enables all subjects to participate.
As a teachers, the benefits are:
- Exchange good educational and teaching practices with colleagues from all over Europe
- Training possibilities and opportunities for further education abroad
Elos Schools will receive a certificate and other signs of recognition, such as a wall sign, when they sign a 'letter of commitment' to work towards the Elos School Standard and again after 3 years when they are expected to have made considerable progress to meet the Elos School Standard in order to receive the official Elos school certificate. The national Elos coordinators are responsible for monitoring, evaluation and certification.
Students will receive an Elos certificate indicating their level of 'Europe Competence' from their school. The partners in the European Elos network are promoting the recognition of this certificate by institutions for vocational and higher education and by employers, in order to ensure that students with an Elos certificate will benefit even more from their achievements in their further educational and professional careers. Only certified Elos schools can award Elos student certificates, provided that a student presents a satisfying portfolio based on the CFEC level relevant to the type of education he/she has followed.
If you share the ideas and ideals of Elos, please go to the tab About Elos (national and regional coordinators) on this website and contact your national or regional coordinator. If there is no national or regional coordinator in your country, please contact the European coordinator, European Platform - Consultancy and Training.
European Platform - Consultancy & Training